How to Apply
MASTER OF ARCHITECTURE (M.Arch) PROFESSIONAL DEGREE
· Two-year M. Arch program (Option 1) for those who have an undergraduate pre-professional degree in architecture from universities offering an accredited architecture program should apply for Fall Semester (begins in August).
· Three-year M. Arch program (Option 2) for those holding a bachelor's degree in a field other than architecture or students of non-accredited architecture programs, should apply for Summer Semester (begins in May).
· Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is expected, but not required.
Admission Process (view Application Check List)
Apply to Graduate School for admission to Ball State University.
U.S. applicants must apply to Ball State University via the Graduate School.
International applicants must apply to Ball State University via the Rinker Center for International Programs.
Upon completion of Step 1 (application to Graduate School), Julie Kratzner, Programs Assistant, will email you an invite to upload application materials into BSUbox (If you do not receive an BSUbox invite, please check SPAM folder). Items 1-4 must be separate PDF documents.
2. Statement of purpose: (500-1000 words)
What are your interests and ambitions for your graduate studies? How does your previous design and work experiences connect with these goals? Consider how you might provide additional information to describe your portfolio further. Please note: This statement will also be evaluated as a writing sample.
3. Portfolio (50 mb max)
For those who have an undergraduate degree in architecture: include previous design work in university courses and studios and/or professional practice. If teamwork is shown, you must clearly indicate what your role was. Artistic work and hands-on building work may also be included.
For those without an undergraduate degree in architecture: provide examples that demonstrate creative aptitude and artistic skills.
4. GRE (Graduate Records Examination)
GRE is optional for those with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and above. Should you have a GPA below 3.0 or simply would like for us to consider your GRE scores in your application review - a scanned copy of your scores sent to you by ETS is acceptable.
5. Three (3) References
You must provide the e-mail address of (3) references when filling out the Graduate School Application. References will be notified electronically to complete the on-line recommendation form through the Graduate School application process.
Application (step 1 & 2) must be complete by January 19, 2018 for priority admission and consideration of financial assistance (i.e., graduate assistantship; scholarship). Please note that we will still accept applications after this date but we cannot guarantee that financial assistance opportunities will be available.
- March 23, 2018 for 3-year M.Arch program (beginning Monday, May 14, 2018- tentatively)
- May 31, 2018 for 2-year M.Arch program (beginning Monday, August 20, 2018- tentatively)